Thursday, March 12, 2009

Another Tasty Recipe!

I tried a frittata recipe today that I decided is one of my new favorites, and I feel I must share it with you.

Frittata with Potato and Prosciutto


Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis (my fave)

6 servings

Ingredients


* 4 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 (7-ounce) potato, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
* 1/2 onion, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 6 large eggs
* 1/4 cup heavy cream
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
* 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, coarsely chopped
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
* 1 baguette, cut into 8 pieces
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter

Directions

Heat the oil in a heavy 9 1/2-inch-diameter skillet over medium heat. Add the potato, onion, and garlic. Season the potato mixture with salt and pepper, to taste. Saute over medium-low heat until the potato is golden and crisp on the outside, tender inside, about 7 to 10 minutes.

Preheat the broiler. Whisk the eggs, cream, Parmesan, prosciutto, and basil in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the egg mixture into the potato mixture in the skillet. Cook over medium-low heat until the egg mixture is almost set but the top is still loose, about 3 minutes. Place the skillet under the broiler. Broil until the top is set and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, loosen the frittata from skillet and slide the frittata onto a cutting board. Cut the frittata into 12 wedges.

Split open each bread piece. Toast the bread on a grill pan until golden. You can also broil the bread cut side up until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes, keeping a careful watch on the bread since they can easily burn. Butter the cut sides of the toasted bread. Arrange a frittata wedge on each bottom piece of bread. Cover with the bread tops and serve.





The fact that it has two of my favorite ingredients - prosciutto and basil - may make me a bit biased, but this is one tasty frittata. I substituted the French baguette for some artisan bread because that's what I had on hand.

Happy eating! (I know it makes me happy)

1 comment:

nikki said...

start blogging, chicky! I know you have more going on in the past 4 weeks than a frittata recipe.. though it does sound yum!