with this bread, i went even healthier, leaving out sugar (well, with the exception of the dark chocolate chocolate chips.. but banana bread just isn't the same without chocolate!) i have to say i was a bit nervous about how it would taste, but my hubby will atest, it was pretty darn scrumptious. i actually think it was even better tasting than banana breads i've made in the past. i definitely won't be going back to all-purpose flour with breads & muffins. next, i will have to try whole wheat cookies (eep!)... thinking pastry flour will be a better bet for those.
DARK CHOCOLATE CHIP WHOLE WHEAT BANANA BREAD (adapted from this recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease bread pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix mashed bananas with honey, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until blended. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Mine took 40 minutes).
i hope you are inspired to try whole wheat baking! it is seriously so much better than you'd think. and, better yet, it is nutritious!! you can actually feel good about eating it.
(sidenote :: i didn't take the above photo until day 3, so it looked (and tasted) even more moist initially. sorry to those who are squirmish about the word moist, haha.)