Thursday, August 2, 2012

Summer Smoothie Recipe from Kelly of The Pretty Bee.

Hello, Meg's Musings readers!  I'm Kelly from The Pretty Bee and I'm honored to be posting for Meg while she's having a little getaway in Maine.  I am a long time reader of Meg's lovely blog and am following her healthy whole foods journey with interest. On that note, I thought I would share one of my favorite smoothie recipes with you today.  I love to make smoothies for breakfast or for a snack, especially in the summer when all the fruit is so nice and ripe.

IMG_5412

Summer Smoothie
Serves 2.

10-12 strawberries
1/4 of a cantaloupe, cute into chunks
1 cup of orange juice
1 tablespoon of chia seeds

Put ingredients into a blender and blend.  Drink immediately...yum! Now you may be asking, what are Chia Seeds?  This graphic from Yummy Mummy Kitchen pretty much says it all:

rawforbeauty

They are an awesome super food, and you can't even taste them.  If you put them in a smoothie, they look like little kiwi seeds.  You can put them in baked goods or sprinkle them on top of salads.  If you have a limited diet like I do right right now due to my son's food allergies, chia seeds can be a great way to supplement your calcium and iron intake. Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe?  Share it in the comments!  I love to try out new combinations.

IMG_5416

12 comments:

becca said...

this is so simple, and totally makes me want to get some more chia seeds!
do they gel up a smoothie like they do with regular liquids?

Tiffany Kadani said...

I don't make smoothies but I really do want to. This one looks delicious and I love how healthy it is. Yum!

k said...

smoothies are insanely good...this looks like a great recipe!

Kelly said...

They do gel up a little if you let it sit for awhile, but it isn't noticeable. I just drink it right away cause it's yummy. :)

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

mmm, this sounds really yummy! I've never had chia seeds, but now I want to get some for my smoothies. :)

Faith said...

Chia seeds sound awesome! I generally keep some frozen fruit around because I like my smoothies on the thicker side, and then I add whatever fresh fruit I have in the house (anything from watermelon to plums, though apples are my fave- no need to peel them), add yogurt, and a bit of OJ, and that's it! So tasty!

Meeling said...

Yum! Sounds great Kelly!

k said...

that sounds SO good.

Blair McLeod said...

i need to get on the chia seed train!

Brooke said...

ok, its official...I gotta try the chia. It's hard to get past the Cha- Cha- Cha- Chia bit though...ya know? xo

Blond Duck said...

That sounds perfect for this 100 degree weather!

fernandflora said...

Ooo. I need to try this! I've been making green smoothies lately with spinach, apple, kale, banana, berries and lemon juice to get the old digestive track moving in the morning and get the fruit and veggie quotient up for the day. I'm kind of addicted now. I've heard great things about chia seeds too..

Hope all is well! Love that pretty pic of you with your wavy braided hair. Lovely!