Friday, April 12, 2013

{source}
I've been so caught up in my seemingly never-ending to-do lately, that I've been neglecting to be in the present. Even when Joel and cuddle up on the couch to catch last week's New Girl or HIMYM, I find myself trying to do some other task at the same time, like last night I was making a grocery list on my phone. Ridic. It makes for an inward, joy-deprived way to live. One thing I've been thinking about this week is how I'd like to be more intentional about taking time out of each day to do something kind toward someone in my life (or a stranger), whether it be sending a card, an encouraging email/text, cooking/baking for them, making something for them, or whatever.. Trying not to beat myself up about being so terrible at it but rather work toward changing it.

On a somewhat related note, have I mentioned before how much I hate that busy-ness is so valued in our culture?! That we seem to have this belief that life is more meaningful/complete if you are super busy all the time? I envy Europeans' way of lingering over coffee, as Erika observed on her recent trip abroad. They don't seem to be constantly in a hurry like we are; they are there in the moment soaking up time with people in their lives. I think their priorities are much more in line.

And on a definitely unrelated note, some of my favorite links from the week :)

-- this knock-my-socks-off-beautiful Indian wedding
-- new adorable kid art from the lovely lisa
-- healthy food for camping or hiking
-- drooling over this chicken and rice bowl recipe (but keeping meals super simple (cheap) right now)
-- a helpful tutorial for a fun party (or decorative) garland

hope you all take the time to linger over coffee this weekend!

7 comments:

Faith said...

You totally read my mind on this post! It's nice to know I'm not alone. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so much the same- always doing two things at once! Also regretting not doing enough for others while I'm busy.

Christa said...

That wedding. Oh my gosh. Totally knock your socks off. So gorgeous! I hear you on the taking time to enjoy things. Feeling so sick lately, I have had to stop and just lay on the couch. Instead of letting myself rest and grow a baby I go through all the other things I should be doing. I was talking with a friend the other day about the European culture of rest and really taking time to enjoy things, to linger. I love that too. I want to marvel at my kids or mull over a good conversation with a friend or pray and not feel guilty for the dishes sitting in the sink. It is a hard transition, but one I'm welcoming. I hope you have a great weekend, dear Meg!!

Kelly said...

I'm going through the same thing, as you know from my post. It is so hard to just be in the moment. My mind is always racing, thinking of all the stuff I need to do. Trying hard to change it! And that rice bowl looks delicious!

Kelly said...

I'm going through the same thing, as you know from my post. It is so hard to just be in the moment. My mind is always racing, thinking of all the stuff I need to do. Trying hard to change it! And that rice bowl looks delicious!

Katie said...

I love this. Thanks for sharing.

becca said...

yes yes yes.
this has been on my mind SO much lately. it's like I can never feel 100% happy with what I got done that day because I'm looking at the little messes around the house, or all the creative impulses I didn't get to act on.
working on that. I feel like it's one of those priceless lessons that you learn gradually.
but for now, my rule is to pick one chore to do, per day.
sounds so simple, and it is.
but with work, and spending time with my husband, and making dinner and making crafts and hopefully being with friends and doing other spontaneous activities, it's what I can manage.
and it feels so much better, three days in!

good luck with your learning!